Free Robots txt Generator
Do I need a robots.txt file?
You may not even need to have a robots.txt file on your site. In fact, it is often the case you do not need one.
Reasons you may want to have a robots.txt file:
- You have content you want blocked from search engines
- You are developing a site that is live, but you do not want search engines to index it yet
- You want to fine tune access to your site from reputable robots
- You are using paid links or advertisements that need special instructions for robots
- They help you follow some Google guidelines in some situations
Reasons you may not want to have a robots.txt file:
- Your site is simple and error free and you want everything indexed
- You do not have any files you want or need to be blocked from search engines
- You do not find yourself in any of the situations listed in the above reasons to have a robots.txt file
- It is okay to not have a robots.txt file.
When you do not have a robots.txt file the search engine robots like Googlebot will have full access to your site. This is a normal and simple method that is very common.
Keys to robots.txt
- If you use a robots.txt file, make sure it is being used properly
- An incorrect robots.txt file can block Googlebot from indexing your page
- Ensure you are not blocking pages or elements that Google needs to read, render and rank your pages